The main material for the structure of cells and the normal functioning of the body are three substances: carbohydrates, fats and proteins. The latter directly affect the metabolism and maintenance of life.
Protein (protein) is found in various foods:
- milk products;
Also, a large amount of protein is in the composition of cereals:
- pearl barley.
Protein-rich foods allow you to get the daily rate of this element. In it, as in other trace elements, the human body needs it first. If you have a need for a certain supplement, you should not focus on foods high in carbohydrates, fats or proteins – many trace elements are available in the form of capsules and dietary supplements.
If you are interested in gaining muscle mass or losing weight, you should definitely include foods that contain protein in your diet. Thanks to it, the body replenishes the need for nutrition for muscles, due to which it ceases to take energy from them. In addition, foods rich in protein can saturate for a long time, which allows you to avoid overeating.
The value of protein for the body
Protein food, together with other trace elements, forms the basis of a healthy person’s diet. It contains invaluable amino acids, thanks to which the body performs its basic functions. Protein has a lot of positive properties:
- It is the most nutritious supplement for muscles, skin, cartilage and blood. With its help, metabolic processes are stimulated.
- Helps the body rehabilitate itself after illness.
- Able to repair tissue by healing microtrauma.
- It is digested long enough in the stomach, stabilizing the feeling of hunger and saturating the body.
- Improves immunity.
Protein-related foods are especially important for children, as they promote the growth of tissues and cells, helping the young body develop. The trace element is also considered the most useful for people who want to burn fat. By consuming it in sufficient quantities, you create the body a job to spend calories, which positively affects health and weight.
Daily protein intake
Doctors believe that a universal norm of consumption of any trace element does not exist, since the body of each person has its own characteristics. It should be calculated for yourself on the basis of an approximate formula:
1 kilogram of weight = 1 gram of protein per day.
This is an average calculation that determines the lower limit of the element’s consumption rate. Some people (for example, athletes before, during and after training or pregnant) should consume it in large volumes. Also, the need for increased protein intake is observed with the following diseases:
- chronic infections;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- during the recovery period.
Protein is also indicated to lose weight and want to increase muscle mass, since the body spends a lot of time and calories on its absorption. A large amount of protein does not harm health, but there is a list of diseases in which it is worth consuming less than the norm says:
- oncological diseases;
- chronic bowel disease;
- kidney problems
- increased fragility of bones.
The highest protein content is found in meat and legumes. If necessary, it can also be used separately in the form of powder or capsules – this method is used by professional athletes who lack an element in food.
The distribution of protein during the day
Amino acids that enter the human body with plant and animal food are absorbed almost completely. With a balanced and proper nutrition, the trace element is absorbed evenly. However, if you are taking a protein supplement to increase its content in the body, there are a few rules to consider:
- Concentrated trace element does not require a long time for digestion, so it should be consumed immediately after physical activity.
- All amino acids should be taken according to the instructions, not exceeding the specified upper threshold. Excessive use of even the safest supplement may cause unexpected side effects.
- To ensure the healthy functioning of the body, proteins should make up about 35% of all micronutrients consumed. Try not to minimize this number in order to support the work of all internal organs.
List of Protein-Rich Foods
High protein foods form the basis of the human diet. This element allows you to maintain vital activity and gain strength. Protein-rich foods are a source of energy.
Among the foods with the highest protein content:
- lean meat;
- river and sea fish;
- milk products;
In the top of protein products is poultry fillet (about 29 grams of protein per 100 grams of product). Also, protein foods include nuts, which contain from 18 to 30 grams of an element, depending on the variety. This list also includes legumes, which also apply to products in which 100 grams have a lot of protein (25-30 grams).
High or moderate protein foods are called protein foods. Professional athletes and people who want to gain mass eat them in large quantities. It is enough for the average person not to forget about the existence of protein foods and regularly replenish their diet with it.
The human body can absorb the trace element not only from food. People who especially need it prefer to use whey protein in the form of a powder that the body metabolizes almost completely. Thus, you can use both foods that have a lot of protein, and powder with a similar composition.
In addition to being an excellent source of protein, meat also contains amino acids, complex proteins and iron, which helps strengthen muscles. It contains a lot of proteins and low fat, which makes the product especially valuable.
It is believed that lean meat contains the optimal amount of protein. For example, in 100 grams of beef – 19 grams of trace elements, and in a similar amount of turkey – 28 grams.
Table of protein content in different types of meat
|Title||The protein content per 100 grams of meat, in grams|
The use of protein is invaluable, and its main advantage is that for an average person it is enough to introduce protein-containing products into the diet: meat, eggs, dairy products and other dishes from this group.
Fish and seafood
Fish is deservedly considered a champion in protein content. Even cheap fish can boast of a trace element. This product is low in fat and high in protein. Fish and seafood are beneficial due to the presence of vitamin D, pure iodine, copper, zinc and fatty acids.
Seafood is considered a storehouse of minerals and the richest source of iron. In terms of protein content, these products are considered world champions. By saturating your diet with them, you are guaranteed to contribute to health and extend your life.
Protein table in fish and seafood
|Title||Value per 100 grams of product, in grams|
The consumption of dairy and dairy products allows you to get the daily rate of the element. A large amount of protein is found in cheese, milk powder and cottage cheese. In addition, dairy products embody the perfect combination of calcium, amino acids in large volumes.
Useful trace elements remove toxins from the body and normalize blood pressure, and protein in large quantities increases energy and strength reserves.
Protein table in milk and dairy products
|Title||The amount of protein per 100 grams|
|Pasteurized milk||3,5 gr|
|Homemade milk||5 gr|
|Cottage cheese||15-22 gr|
|Powdered milk||26 gr|
|Milk serum||1 gr|
Most protein is found in barley and buckwheat (11 and 13 grams per 100 grams of porridge). There are a large number of important elements in such food:
- trace elements.
A protein side dish is an extremely important dish for the body, as it prolongs the feeling of fullness, cleanses the intestines and enhances immunity. Cereals and cereals are one of the main sources of protein, so dishes from them should be included in your diet.
Table of protein content in various types of cereals
|Title||The amount of protein per 100 grams|
|Buckwheat grain||13 gr|
|Wild rice||4 gr|
|Pearl barley||3 gr|
Not every food containing a trace element is able to completely give it to the body. There are certain foods from which protein is easily digested (whey and eggs), good (meat, fish), medium (fruit, mushrooms) or bad (nuts and beans). What percentage of the beneficial element ultimately enters your body depends on this.
For weight loss should focus on the products mentioned in the table. Each of these sources of the element is rich in easily digestible protein and is able to give it almost completely.
The ranking includes dairy products in which the protein content and digestibility are at an altitude. Eating them as a full meal, snack or dessert is a good habit that can positively affect health.
How protein is digested
|Title||Digestibility of proteins on a 10-point scale|
What foods are the most healthy protein?
Foods in which protein is found in optimal amounts can have different effects on health. For example, the same amount of element is found in cheese and chicken hearts, however, they belong to different food groups, fulfilling different goals. Each of them contains other trace elements that can improve well-being and have a beneficial effect on internal processes.
Doctors say that you can get the maximum benefit from the following protein products:
- The eggs. This is a unique product, as it contains the highest amount of protein among its kind, and the percentage of digestibility of the element is almost 100%. Due to the high content of nutrients (choline, vitamin D, vitamin B12), it is actively involved in the restoration and growth of tissues, increases the efficiency and activity of the brain.
- Spinach. Contains many amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Improves memory, promotes weight loss and muscle growth. It can be consumed both raw and heat-treated.
- Chicken fillet. It has a low calorie content and a small percentage of fat, which is typical for poultry meat. Contains less saturated fat. Satisfies hunger for a long time, nourishing the cells of the body.
- Salmon. Among all varieties of fish, it has the largest number of trace elements and nutrients. It contains: Omega-3 fatty acids (improves brain function, strengthens hair, skin and nails), vitamin B12 (favorably affects memory), vitamin D (compensates for the lack of sunlight in the cold season).
- Greek yogurt. It differs from the classical one in its consistency (average between yogurt and cheese) and composition: twice as much protein as in similar products, and a record amount of calcium. This has a positive effect on the condition of bones, muscles and the immune system.
When purchasing the above products, make a choice in favor of recognizable brands and products from the middle price segment. Remember: cheap or unknown products often have low quality and fewer beneficial properties.
Features of the protein diet
Protein is considered an extremely useful trace element for weight loss. In this regard, there is a direction of nutrition called “protein diet”, which allows you to lose weight. Its basic principle is to add to your diet foods low in carbohydrates and fats, but rich in protein. Adhering to this diet, you can lose weight in 2 weeks, while eating a variety of dishes (there are many recipes for such a diet).
List of protein foods recommended for weight loss:
- lean meat;
- milk products;
- dried fruits.
During a high protein diet, it is recommended that you consume more water than usual to prevent dehydration. In order for the protein food to bring you the desired effect, before changing the nutrition plan, consult your doctor and take tests.
Protein diet example
|Breakfast||3 eggs; 300 g of cottage cheese with nuts; tea or coffee.|
|Snack||300 g of yogurt.|
|Dinner||250 grams of baked salmon bulgur; Tomatoes|
|High tea||2 grapefruits; 300 g of cottage cheese.|
|Dinner||200 g chicken; 150 g vegetable salad.|
Benefits of a Protein Diet
Any restriction in the diet has both its pros and cons. Proper nutrition implies a balance, so such diets are recommended for no longer than a month.
The positive aspects of the protein diet include:
- Quick result. Eating large amounts of protein can stimulate muscles to work, which contributes to weight loss.
- Fat burning. Due to the presence of predominantly protein food in the diet, the body has nowhere to take fats from, and it begins to burn its own. Muscle mass does not suffer, as it receives enough nutrition.
- A long feeling of fullness. A characteristic feature of protein nutrition is to rid the body of hunger. Thus, a small portion can be enough for you to satisfy your hunger for a long time.
- Efficiency. Lost kilograms will not come back soon if you know the rules of the diet and strictly observe them.
In order to get the effect of a protein diet and not harm your health, you should clearly know to whom it is contraindicated. Such dietary restrictions are not recommended for pregnant, lactating and people with the following diseases:
- stones in the kidneys;
The disadvantages of a protein diet
The negative aspects of protein nutrition include the following factors:
- violation of the gastrointestinal tract;
- such dietary restrictions lead to vitamin deficiency;
- high load on the kidneys;
- leaching of calcium, which worsens the condition of the skin, hair and nails;
- increased blood coagulation.
Like any diet, protein nutrition can negatively affect health. This is mainly due to an imbalance in the diet, that is, the preference for specific foods in large quantities to the detriment of others. In order to avoid negative consequences, it is recommended to take the following measures:
- Before starting a diet, visit a doctor and take tests;
- regularly take vitamins and minerals at the same time as food;
- increase the calcium content in the diet;
- adhere to restrictions no more than twice a year, and no longer than one month.
If you do not follow the rules of this diet, as well as being in the group of those to whom it is contraindicated, you can provoke the appearance of certain side effects. Carefully read all the information about this particular diet before embarking on a change in your diet.
Protein diet rules
The basic principle of limitation is the consumption of animal and vegetable products with a predominant amount of protein and low in fat and carbohydrates. Thus, the body receives “building material” for the muscles, while burning fat. In order for the diet to be successful, it is worth considering several important rules:
- As a source of protein, it is recommended to use white meat and fish, which contains many trace elements and vitamins. Food restrictions deplete the body, so you should additionally nourish it. In addition, you can purchase a complex of vitamins in a pharmacy and drink them daily.
- Low-quality and unhealthy foods, such as fast food, canned foods, offal, sugary sodas, sugar, store sauces, muffins, pastries and refined oils, should be discarded.
- Break the meal according to the fractional nutrition system into 5-6 meals per day. Try to eat in small portions and get up from the table with a slight feeling of hunger. Schedule a meal so that the first meal is one hour after waking up, and the last 2-3 hours before bedtime. This mode is considered optimal.
- Limit fruit consumption to 2 times a day and do not eat them later than 3 hours before bedtime.
- Carry out diets no more than 2 times a year and no longer than a month, the rest of the time giving preference to a balanced nutrition format.
Protein is an essential element for the human body. He is able to improve internal processes, increase brain activity, immunity and metabolism. With a balanced and proper diet, this element will bring your body only benefits.